|Mini Penne Rigate with Mushrooms (Right) |
Mini Penne Rigate with Mushrooms & Sage Butter Chicken Livers (Left)
- In a large pan fry off in butter and olive oil a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and the white section of a half dozen thinly sliced spring onions.
- When softened toss into the flavoured butter about 4-500 grams of sliced mushrooms of your choice. Stir until softened and a little golden in colour. Then add 1/2 small tub of cream or sour cream and a glass of white wine. Bring up to the boil and then simmer gently until the sauce has reduced by about a third.
- While doing this cook separately about 200 gms of pasta (again this is your choice I have used a mini penne rigate).
- To serve toss the cooked pasta, along with a handful of fresh herbs lightly chopped... today I have used coriander, rosemary (which loves mushroom) and roughly torn basil through the mushroom and sauce mix, the remainder green sliced spring onions and finally stir in about a half cup of freshly grated parmesan and heaps of black cracked pepper to taste.
- For the meat alternative... Melt a little butter add some sage leaves and gently fry to instil the delicate sage flavour into the butter and then very quickly stir fry a hand full of chicken livers until golden on the outside but still pink on the inside. Toss these as an extra through only into the servings requiring them.