|Recipe for Eggs - "Menemen" |
Traditional Turkish Breakfast
Delicious, quick and a nourishing way to start the day or end it... although this traditional Turkish recipe is served at breakfast I don't see why it can't be eaten at any time... when we were kids Mum did a version with sausages that was baked with the eggs being added at the last few minutes of cooking. The traditional version is stove top and without meat as follows.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and soften a couple of thinly sliced onions a red capsicum and a red chilli.
- when softened add a tin of crushed tomatoes and a couple of teaspoons of caster sugar and cook until the liquid has reduced... season with salt and pepper.
- Using a wooden spoon make pockets in the mix and crack eggs into them cover and cook until the eggs are just set.
- In the meantime beat 6 tablespoons of thick creamy yoghurt together with 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
- When the eggs are cooked sprinkle the top of the dish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve directly from the pan topped with a dollop of the garlic yoghurt and crunchy toast.