|Caramelised Red Onion - Steamed Spinach - Mashed Potatoes with cream|
Friday, May 11, 2012
Caramelised Herb Pumpkin slices, Sauté Celery Zucchini and Cauliflower with fennel seed, Caramelised Red Onion, Mashed Potatoes with cream, Steamed Spinach.
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
- It can be made up following the instructions on the pack and served as they are... in about 60 minutes.
- The same pack can be made into a vegetable soup by adding diced veggies and cooking it in a slow cooker on low over the day 7-8 hours if you want to have a go at that method.
- Or by using the same packet blend of whole grains and adding fresh vegetables along with some browned chicken to end up with a "Chicken and Vegetable Soup".
|Fresh diced vegetables of your choice|
- In a little olive oil soften an onion, half dozen sliced spring onions, a couple of stalks of celery and a couple cloves of crushed garlic until translucent.
- Then add diced carrots, pumpkin, mushrooms and zucchini until they start to soften.
- Finally add a tin of tomatoes, 1/2 cup of tomato puree, fresh herbs of thyme and parsley, the soup and spice mix and 2 litres of water... cover and simmer for about and hour until the barley is tender... Enjoy!
Labels: barley, carrots, celery, chicken, diced vegetables, garlic, haricot beans, mushrooms, onion, pumpkin, red lentils, slow cooker, tin tomatoes, Vegetable soup. McKenzie's country vegetable, yellow split peas, zucchini
Monday, April 16, 2012
|Vanilla Poached Salmon with Borlotti and Butter Beans|
|Vanilla Poached Salmon|
- In a large pan prepare your poaching liquid by adding a cup of white wine, 1 cup of water or fish stock, 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste, knob of butter, a few cardamom pods crushed and husked removed, 1 cinnamon quill, 1 tablespoon of honey,1 teaspoon of saffron threads and salt and pepper. Bring this to the boil and pop in your salmon pieces and turn the heat down to a very soft simmer and poach them for about 6 minutes or until the fish is just cooked... remove the fish and set aside while continuing to reduce the liquid by about half.
- In another large fry pan heat a 50/50 olive and vegetable oil mix and fry stirring constantly until softened, about 5 minutes, the following tiny diced vegetables, 2 carrots, 2 sticks of celery, a leak and a clove of garlic.
- Add a can of Borlotti beans, a can of Butter beans and the reduced poaching liquid and continue to cook stirring occasionally until the liquid is almost evaporated and you are left with a coating sauce.
- Remove from the heat stir in another knob of butter and a handful of roughly chopped fresh parsley.
- Plate up and top with the flaked salmon to serve this delicious healthy meal.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
|Chicken, Couscous & Lentil Soup|
Low fat, healthy and so so simple to make ...
- Start by thinly slicing a leek, grating a large carrot and a zucchini and thickly slice two sticks of celery. Soft fry all of these with a couple of cloves of crushed garlic for about 1 minute in a large saucepan.
- Then add 1 tin of crushed tomatoes, 1 tin of Lentils (drained), 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce and then submerge a whole chicken under 2.5 litres of chicken stock... bring this to the boil and then simmer for 1 hour until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and remove the chicken... skin and bone it and return the best shredded bits back to the pot along with 1/2 cup of couscous and a large handful of fresh chopped parsley... simmer this gently for a few minutes until the couscous is tender and serve.
Labels: carrot, celery, chicken, couscous, grated, healthy, leek, lentil, low fat, Simple Soup, so so simple, sweet chilli sauce, tin of crushed tomatoes, tin of lentils, whole chicken, zucchini