|Gnocchi with tomato sauce|
the next time you need a simple home made sauce for what ever don't be tempted to open a jar... grab your saucepan instead.
Pasta, gnocchi, lasagne, steak, chicken, fish, prawns, vegetables or anything else you can think of this is the way to go...
- Fry in a little oil until softened some onion and garlic.
- If adding meat, lightly brown on all sides at this point.
- Add a tin of crushed tomato or a bottle of tomato puree and cirio paste (tomato paste, the more of this the richer the sauce)then and at least a tin or two of water enough to make sure your meat if added is covered...by adding more water thinner sauces for fish or vegetables can be achieved. Lasagne needs quite a thin but tomato rich sauce as the sheets will absorb the moisture content.
- Fresh herbs of your choice parsley, thyme, basil etc.
- Add a splash of vinegar, a table spoon of sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer this very gently for a few hours removing your meat when it is cooked through... by reducing the water down slowly and really cooking the tomato and tomato paste you will end up with that rich Italian flavour and look, this can't be rushed.
|Gnocchi with baby spinach|