|Creamed Cabbage with White Sauce and Feta|
Simmered Cabbage with Feta Cheese
Cabbage is one of my favourite veggies. There is so much that you can do with this versatile vegetable all year round... try this particular recipe when you are looking for that flavour filled soft cabbage fix with a yummy cheesy creamy sauce. I often cook this when I am home alone and eat it as my main meal. If you don't want the creamy milk sauce you can leave the white sauce step out and simply break the feta through the drained simmered cabbage and serve.
- Melt a large blob of butter with some fresh ground black pepper and salt... stir in a half cabbage roughly chopped and sauté until softened.
- Add a splash of white wine a teaspoon of honey and a cup of chicken stock and simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the cabbage is cooked right through and the liquid is all but gone.
- In another saucepan soften some onion or leek, your choice and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic in a blob of butter... I am using red onion for this recipe today.
- When the onion is softened add a couple of tablespoons of flour and cook for a minute or so.
- Gradually add enough milk to make a thick sauce about 300 ml... let this sauce softly simmer for a couple of minutes to cook the flour properly.
- Break through about 100 grams of feta cheese and melt... add this sauce to the drained cabbage and heat through to serve.