|Char Grilled Vegetable Lasagne|
- Quite thinly slice all of your vegetables and char grill them first. This helps to reduce the cooking time as the vegetable are most likely cooked enough to eat before assembling them into the lasagne dish. This means you only need to allow enough time for the sheets to cook in the final process... As my core vegetables I have used capsicum, pumpkin, zucchini, mushrooms and sweet potato.
- The sauce is cooking on the side while I am preparing the vegetables... Soften a thinly sliced leek and some garlic in a little oil... if you want meat in this dish at this point brown off some mince.
- To the softened leek add a large tin of crushed tomatoes and about 3/4 of the tin of water to create the sauce.
- A dash of vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar will soften the acids in the tomatoes.
- Finally I have added lots of fresh herbs and salt and cracked black pepper to taste... simmer this gently for a while to create that rich red lasagne style sauce.
- Layer the vegetables into a suitable baking dish starting with a little sauce in the bottom, alternate with lasagne sheets and a touch of grated cheese throughout... final layer should be the sauce and should cover any lasagne sheets... a white sauce can be placed over the top or as I have done just sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan and bake in a 180 oven for about 45 minutes... Test that its cooked through by inserting a fork.