This is one of my favourite desserts. I find it very hard to resist in any Italian restaurant where I expect it to be stunning. I am attempting to show you that this is a very simple dessert that any of us can make at home with very few ingredients. Give it a go and I promise it will soon become a signature dish of your own.
- Separate 3 eggs into two bowls.
- To the whites add a pinch of salt and beat to firm peaks.
- To the yolks add 1/4 sugar and beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick and whitish in colour.
- Add yolks to whites and little by little mix in a 250 gram tub of mascarpone that has been bought to room temperature.
- In another suitable bowl add a couple of cups of strong good quality coffee... and some marsala or your favourite alcohol if you wish.
- Quickly pass the sponge fingers through the coffee and place directly into your serving bowl. I prefer a flat dish but any of your favourite dishes or bowl will do. The biscuit fingers will very quickly absorb the coffee so speed is essential.
- Layering alternatively with the prepared mascarpone cream ... Large flat dish I have done two layers and I guess a loaf tin size you will most likely get three layers out of a large pack of sponge fingers.
- Dust the top layer with a dark good quality cocoa powder
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.