Brown Rice and Green Veg...
|Meatless Chow Mein|
- Fry off to soften a thinly sliced onion in a little olive oil add to this a heaped teaspoon of curry powder to toast through.
- When softened in place of the meat I now add about 3 cups of cooked brown rice and stir to coat the rice.
- To this mixture add a packet of chicken noodle soup mix and two cups of water and the first of the green vegetables. For today's recipe they were sliced green beans and shredded Bok Choy. I would normally have used thinly sliced cabbage however I didn't have any so I have improvised. Cover the fry pan and allow to gently steam.
- Simmer very gently until the vegies are cooked through and the moisture has absorbed into the rice. You can add a little more liquid if you would like a sauce.
- In the last five minutes of cooking toss in some frozen peas and a handful of freshly chopped herbs.
Finely shredded cabbage will give the dish a more authentic look (it resembles soft noodles). Again I suggest you can add any vegetables you like including perhaps julienne carrots and corn for some colour.
Also if you prefer meat substitute the cooked rice for mince and brown this is the beginning with the onion and curry powder. Simmer cook for about 15 minutes to make sure the meat is cooked through properly.
The kids will love this dish because of the flavour that the chicken noodle soup brings to it. A great way to get vegetables into them.