My local produce providers stall is currently offering watermelons from $1 each so why wouldn't I use this opportunity to utilise them in tonight's tea. I also sourced beetroot at 3 for $1. It's all about keeping an eye out for a bargain and then making tonight's tea from the available produce.
This is a simple soup to prepare but does take just under an hour to cook it and cooling for a few hours or overnight is the recommended method to serve. Very tasty and well worth the waiting times....Yum watermelon and beetroot what a combination.
|Watermelon & Beetroot Soup|
- Soft fry a sweet onion in a little oil until translucent.
- Add 3-4 small roughly diced beetroot and cook on low heat for about 40 mins until soft stirring often.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable stock cover and cook for about 15mins longer. Strain and reserve the liquid.
- Add solids and 3 cups of diced seed free watermelon to a blender or similar and purée until smooth.
- Combine again with the reserved liquid and cool for as long as desired. It is delicious warm as well as cold. Present with fresh chopped mint if desired.