- Pick from the garden a whole Jap pumpkin. Improvise with this step if necessary however note that pumpkins are simple to grow don't need a lot of looking after and the bees do all the work for you.
- Bake it whole slowly in 160 oven for about 3 hours then cut off the top and scrape out the seeds and discard them. Scoop out the wonderful warm flesh of the freshly baked pumpkin and put it in a food processor try not to eat too much of it at this stage because it will smell and taste divine.
- You can make your own pastry for the base(this is my plan eventually I am working my way up to this outcome) or buy the frozen one I am using shortcrust. Line your prepared pie dish and blind bake until just golden brown while the pumpkin is cooking to economise on power. I am always wondering what else I can cook at the same time to conserve energy.
- Add 1tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract plus 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger to the pumpkin flesh and blend them all up in a food processor.
- Beat together lightly 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2cup cream (if you desire). The cream can be left out if your feeling the need to be extra healthy today or served with it separately.