Featured today is such a simple and delicious one pot vegetarian option. This dish can also be adapted for the meat eaters by either adding to or substituting the mushrooms with a mince of your choice - pork chicken or beef. If serving to a large group this recipe is easily doubled to feed a mob.
Served with salad and crunchy bread this should satisfy any appetite.
This one pot meal is prepared and served in a deep pan skillet or a large heavy based saucepan if you don't have one.
* Tiny dice 3 large field mushrooms or the equivelant - about 300grams. Pan fry them in a little butter until softened and put aside.
* If adding mince instead of mushrooms fry it off at this stage until browned - approximately 500grams and put aside.
* Saute a finely diced onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. If using meat add it back now.
* Add a tin of diced tomatoes and a tin of tomatoe puree along with a stock cube of your choice dissolved in a half a can of hot water, a teaspoon of sugar a teaspoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of Italian herbs.
* Bring up to a slow boil and add a cup of elbow pasta or what ever pasta takes your fancy and another cup of boiling water. Gently slow boil until the pasta is cooked stirring often making sure it doesn't stick.
* To serve return the mushrooms and finally add a cup of grated mozzarella and salt and pepper to taste.